Last week I wanted to add Android 7 support to Kali Nethunter for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet.
I used to have a Nexus 9 with Nethunter (for which I built a Nougat kernel as well: https://github.com/SecurityAddicted/ElementalX-N9-Nethunter – now merged into Nethunter main repo) which did an awesome work, but unfortunately Wi-Fi/Bluetooth suddenly didn’t work anymore (it seems prone to damage to the internal wireless chip, lots of malfunctioning mainboards can be found on eBay), so I bought a Shield Tablet to replace it.
It’s a nice piece of hardware, almost as fast as the N9 (but it misses the 64bit architecture), a bit smaller (but still good to work on) and definitely lighter. However, current Nethunter only has support to Android 5.1 and 6, and I didn’t want to work in such old platforms with unpatched security vulns (KRACK anyone?), but wanted to stay up-to-date with the current LineageOS release for the Shield Tablet.
After a few hours of work, I finally built a new kernel using the awesome work of BitOBSessiOn (https://github.com/BitOBSessiOn/android_kernel_nvidia_shieldtablet) with patches on top to enable the features needed by Nethunter. I’m running the kernel since a few days without problems.
I submitted the pull request to the official Nethunter repo (https://github.com/offensive-security/nethunter-devices/pull/125), but while it is accepted into the mainline, a test build can be downloaded from https://mega.nz/#!A0xVwQwA!QETEOWj-a5p6Wzbf11UaSp51b4fShyazOVqzdvDdujQ
Please report any bug here or in the Github page of the project (https://github.com/SecurityAddicted/android_kernel_nvidia_shieldtablet).